Thursday, March 21, 2013

March 20, 2013


The meetings with the Forrest View students were very interesting.  I learned so much about how ALL students think.  In our short time talking I learned that we all view college very similarly, whether we're in it or soon to be.  When talking about college readiness I also discovered that we all have the same pressures, insecurities, fears, and excitements.  When discussing college readiness one major topic kept coming up, and this was peer pressure.  Many of us feel like we are pressured into going to college.  Stephanie (a Forrest View student) said that she felt like if you didn't get accepted to college coming out of high school then "your life is pretty much over."  I thought this was funny and interesting that people actually take college acceptance that serious.  She felt that if she didn't get in to college then her life was pretty much "over."  I think that is a very harsh thing to say, especially over "college acceptance."  However, Victoria on the other hand had a completely different outlook.  Even though she knew she wanted to go to college she had come to the realization that "college isn't for everyone."  I completely understand where she's coming from because I feel the same way.  Combined, all groups came up with very similar posters of college influences (shown above).  This was also pretty cool to see how everyone's influence on college readiness came from everything else but themselves.  It would have been pretty neat to see someone's influence be themselves.  What do y'all think?



3 comments:

  1. As we walked around I felt lik eeveryone more or less had the same ideas of the college influences, money, peers, family, and culture. In today's society it is almost frowned upon to not go to college because of the ease of financial aid. Most people don't realize that you dont have to go to college to get a good job, getting jobs today is difficult and it's more about who you know rather than what you know. Everyone is going to apply somewhere and be against someone with the same credentials. It reminds me of my old high school and the sports teams, making a team was decided on who your parents suck up to, and who they knew. College isn't for everyone, but it's a way to springboard your carer opportunities and relationships with people you may have never seen yourself with before. I feel like I got way off topic

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting to walk around and see that even though we were all isolated into little groups we all pretty much had the same ideas on what influenced us. I can totally relate to you guys and how you see things but its kind of different for me. My parents grew up outside of the US and for them the only way to get a job was through College. If you didn't attend a big name university and graduate with honors or some form of distinction then you almost had no hope of getting a good job. I guess it can be different depending on where you are but I definitely agree. Theres more then one way to get a job or start a career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that everyone pretty much has similar views of college and college readiness. It's weird that just a year ago we were in their shoes and wondering how college was going to change everything, and what it would be like. I think whatever someone chooses to do after high school that experience will be a growing experience unless you just live with your parents forever, but besides that I think that any experience of getting out of the house and being more independent is a good experience.

    ReplyDelete